left to right: Batwoman, Red Robin II, Robin, Batman, Nightwing, Batgirl, Akifimi Takaharu.
Batwoman; Anime Inspiration: C.C. of Code Geass
Alias: Kyashii Satōkibi (Kathy Kane)
Ninja Rank: Jounin
Belonging to a secret clan that sought to affiliate itself with The Demon Bat, A-Komuriyasha, The Satōkibi Clan were devastated when it was sealed within Mt. Goth-Ahm, leaving them defenseless to the slaughter from their enemies. The remaining survivors would go into hiding and over the years, periodically send a representative to enter the caves of the mountain and attempt to capture the Demon Bat, but would instead become his prisoners. Those who werent deveoured, would be toyed with utnil they exipired, yet none would pass his tests, deeming themselves worthy to be its avatar. The final two members Kyashii and her younger sister, Kakeru were preparing their whole lives to make the attempt to enter the caves, until tales spread of a survivor who finally emerged as the Shadow of The Bat, stealing that which was the honor that was supposed to belong to their clan. The Bat was still confined to the caves, but with an avatar, it could emerge periodically for a limited time and display its destructive majesty. After the Bat's avatar began amassing a clan, the kunoichi Kyashii realized there might still be a chance to achieve all they had trained for. They watched the development of the fledgling Batclan and when the two genin, Nightwing and Robin were banished by thier sensei, Kakeru was sent by her older sister to track the two young shinobi, to try to acquire one of their medalions, which granted them safe passage into the Batcaves. When Kakeru never returned, Kyashii feared the worst, especially when the two boys did. The opportunity to attempt to acquire them herself died as Robin left Goth-Ahm with the deadly Red Hand organization and Nightwing relocated to the Bloodhaven monestary, surrounded by samurai warrior monks. She continued to monitor the remaining members but for some reason, could never keep tabs on Batgirl, and was not strong enough to challange Batman one on one. Finally, an opportunity arose after the Demon Hunter, Bane arrived and took on an exhausted Batman and A-Komuriyasha. After savagely beating the former and breaking the back of the latter, the two merged in a last ditch attempt to survive. The revived Man-Bat took his revenge on Bane until he barely escaped with his life. The merger began to affect Batman as the demon inside him became more and more pronounced in appearance and mental state. The Batclan reunited to stop their sensei's rampage, which came to a conclusion in the Shinobi Graveyard when the Master of the Ghost Arts, The Spectre returned to use his considerable ninjutsu to separate the Bat from the Man. Still not completely healed from the battle with Bane, and so far from the cave he was bound to, the demon bat began to die. Kyashii took her opportunity and approached the bat, offering herself to save its life. With no time to see if she proved worthy, A-Komoriyasha accepted and lay dormant within her until it was fully healed to attempt to emerge once more.
- satōkibi = cane; Kakeru = bet (wager)- Bette.
- decided to make my versions of Bette and Kathy sisters rather than aunt and niece.
- once, one of the members of the satōkibi clan made it close to escaping before the demon bat stopped, and then ate him. he was able to toss out a journal he had kept that was retrieved, and is the foundation of all of the historical facts the clan have on the Bat and the topography of some of the caves.
- Kakeru becomes the member of the Titans Raptor Squad; Flamebird.
- During the disappearance of Batman, Kyashii will make her presence known during the Battle for the Cowl, and attempt the claim of rightful leadership of the clan, based on her heritage and posession of the demon bat itself. When the other's fail to fall in line, she begins to recruit members to start her own. Kaitsuki will follow her lead, briefly before venturing out on her own. Suchiko Nazo (Spoiler) will join Batwoman as her Batgirl.
- After Suchiko's presumed death, Kyashii will operate solo again. After Komori's return from his Knightquest, she reappears, but will be joined by two new potential members of her clan; Batwing and Batgirl IV. They will be based on the children of Lucious Fox; Luke and Tiffany (from Future's End).
- Once the demon Bat regains its strength, it begins to take over Kyashii's body. After the emergence of the Kamen no Shikai (Society of Falsefied Faces), The Batclan deduce that by constructing an Onimen for her, she'll be able to control the demon raging inside her. They go about figuring out the means of how to contsruct one, and acquiring the materials and manpower to do it. Zatanna and/ or Zatarra will be one of the people involved in this mission.
- Batman will eventually...hesitantly invite Kyashii into the fold.
Red Robin; Anime inspiration: Konohamaru Sarutobi of Naruto
Alias: Daimyomaru Watanabe (Damien Wayne)
Ninja Rank: Jounin
Conceived during the time of Komori's infiltration of the League of Shadows as the shinobi initiate, The Dark. The Dark was sent on a mission and quickly encountered a stunning kunoichi that went by the name , Tsuyomi. A longtime operative of the League, she was both appalled and intrigued by the mysterious ninja's nobility. During the course of their mission they became close and shared a night together. It wasn't until sometime after the completion of that same mission that he discovered that she was in fact the daughter of Onishusoku, The Demon's Head; Leader of the League of Shadows. Upon discovering that she as with child, she went off the grid to protect the identity of her child. After his birth, she trained him as she was trained, and his grandfather escalated that training by teaching the boy, himself. As the legend of The Batman grew, Tsuyomi told her son tales of the great shinobi that was his father and the important work he was doing which kept him away from them. When Batman became possessed by A-komouriyasha, The Demon Bat of Mt. Goth-Ahm, and proceeded to go on a rampage, a coup attempt is made to oust Onishusoku. Fearing for her son's life, Tsuyomi sends Daimyomaru to his father to complete his training and ensure his protection until the time comes when he can take his grandfather's seat as head of the League.
- Red Robin is the name the original Robin, Tomi Komodori went by as a member of the Red Hand. As that version of his name had a lot of blood attached to it, he decided to abandon it for his first code name of Robin when he returns to The Batclan. Daimyomaru sees it as one more suited to himself since his father will not allow him to don the mantle of the Bat until he has "earned" it.
- Red Robin's costume is influenced by his gear as a member of the League.
- His weapon is a 3/4 staff that can convert to two separate shorter "escrima" style staves that have extendable blades, making them swords. They can also reattach to become a double ended bladed staff.
- Daimyomaru has been trained by the best warriors since his birth. He has earned his rank of Jounin, and even at his young age and stature is more deadly than any Batclan member was at his age. He delights in holding it over the head of Robin, Nightwing, and Batgirl that he has a higher rank within the Shinobi Order than they do, although within the clan, they are his seniors.
- Daimyomaru has deep levels of resentment towards his father and his pupils for the paternal neglect he's felt all of his life. At the same time, he reveres his father and wants nothing more than to prove himself to him.
- Tsuyomi's surname is Oni no Ko, which translates as "Child of the Demon".
Robin; Anime Inspiration: Naruto Uzumaki of Naruto
Alias: Tomi Komodori (Tim Drake)
Ninja Rank: Genin (Chuunin/Jounin Level)
Before he was born, Tomi's parents were modest villagers living in Goth-Ahm prefecture. His mother died due to complications associated with childbirth. Hoping to find a means of improving their living conditions, Tomi's father Kosuimono began to hustle on the streets for the yakuza. In the midst of engaging in his criminal enterprises, he became addicted to opium. the narcotic exacerbated his feelings regarding his son's responsibility for his wife's death, and even though he loved his son, he spent as little time with him as he could. the geisha and oiran felt bad for the boy, and would care for Tomi while his father was away working his angles. he would be gone days, weeks, sometimes months at a time working on a score. as he got older, Tomi was not allowed in the houses so he spent the his time running the streets. he grew up friends with the orphan lost children, some of whom did not appreciate his presence as although he was poor, he was not homeless, and even though his father was a derelict...he was not an orphan. He learned how to fight specifically due to those who felt that way and tried to keep him from hanging around. One boy in particular got beat on just as much if not more by the older kids than he did. The two plotted to get their assailants back and came up with a plan the humiliated the bullies to the point that neither was harassed again. They weren't exactly friends, but they did look out for one another on the streets. On one score in particular, Kosuimono decided it was worth the risk to steal from his employer who happened to be the tattooed geisha crimbeoss, Two-Face. He planned to take his ill gotten- ill gotten gains and skip town, but was caught by Two-Face's men and dispatched. Except they had no idea where he stashed the loot. They went to toss the hovel he lived in and came across Tomi. Assuming he knew where the stash was, they attempted to take him in, but he escaped. He attempted to garner some help from the police, but seeing who he was, dismissed him. Eventually Two-Face's men caught up with him, but this time he had no escape route. his capture was prevented by the intervention of The Batman. He explained the situation, and asked Batman if he could help him get vengeacne, to which he replied no. When he left, Tomi tailed him and watched as Batman was ambushed by Two-Face's operatives. Two-Face confronted Batman before giving the order to execute him, which Tomi interrupted, albeit clumsily. Giving Batman the opportunity to free himself, the two fought off the criminals back to back. Two face fled the scene, but the rest of her goons were taken into custody and her shipment was confiscated. Tomi asked if Batman would take him on as a student, and as he had such a bad time with his experience with Redwing, he again told the boy no. He began training himself to prove he was worthy to be a ninja trainee, learning how to utilize some of the ninja tools batman had used to take out the bad guys. Eventually word on the street got around that some low level clan less ninja planned to run a heist on a noble's gala. He figured this was the perfect opportunity to showcase his skills and showed up just in time to help save the noble, Komori Watanabe and his guests. There were two other ninja there that had the same idea as he did, and in attempts to show their superiority over the others, blundered the whole rescue allowing the would be robbers to get away.
- "kosui mono" is a Japanese phrase that means "a cunning fellow" and is accepted as a translation for the term, "Shifty". I chose this as his name to reference Tim's dad on BtAS who was known as Shifty Drake.
- although he knows that Two-Face didn't directly order the death of his father, he still has a special enmity towards her and holds her responsible. Specifically to get to her, he calls her, "Puke-Face" to agitate her.
- prior to the timeskip, Robin will encounter a young girl with amnesia who is alone on the streets and on the run from who she believes could be her abusive father...this will bring him into contact with crimelord, Nendo Uwabari aka Clayface.
- Tomi's "friend" growing up will turn out to be Copperhead of the criminal organization, Snakepit and a member of a cell of Terror Titans.
- After the timeskip, Robin has become just as proficient with the Escrima as he was with the bo staff. He goes back and forth between the weapons
- while among the Red Hand, Robin wore a black hooded cloak with a yellow lining. he still has it. This represents his signature cape.
- The five members of the Red Hand were paired off, with the leader (Red Claw) either travelling alone, with one of the other teams, or the entire group. Robin's partner was Red X.
Batman; Anime Inspiration: Kakashi Hatake of Naruto
Alias: Komori Watanabe (Bruce Wayne)
Ninja Rank: Clan Leader, Jounin
After his trials in the future known as the Knightquest, where he shows the Batman of Beyond his time the true meaning and power of having a clan. In teaching his future successor the valuable lesson, he too learns the lesson himself and sees how he failed by pushing his own clan away and tried to do everything on his own. Upon realizing this, The Spectre appears to him and acknowledging his growth, tells him how to make his way back to his own time. He makes his way to the Zorigami Corporation tower, where Hourman has just merged with the Myriad Year Clock and flees to the past to escape his own family, the Epoch Clan. Batman sneaks through the rift created and winds up just in time to save his clan, which has begun to unravel with his departure. His arrival ends the Battle for the Cowl. But after sharing his adventure with his clan, he marvels at the growth his initial students have made. As a sign of his pride, he updates his outfit with gear inspired by each of their growth. He dons a new cowl, taken from the material Tomi wore as batman, adds the samurai hip armor and breastplate that Daisuke wore, and incorporates Kaitsuki's gadgets and Utility Pouches for his belt. With his new outlook on life and his new look; both symbolizing his embracing of his clan, The Batclan protects the citizens of Hitoshirenu, stronger than ever.
- I felt it was time to update the look of The Batman, and made it more in line with a Dark Knight bat in the center of his chest, as opposed to just his medallion, which is obviously inspired by his older era bat insignia.
- After Knightfall, Batman was separated from A-Komouriyasha, but the demon bat mysteriously disappeared afterwards. His return to question the Spectre about its whereabouts is what prompts him to hurl Komori through time. During the Knightquest, he will learn that his successor, Teruhi Miyagawa (Terry McGuinness) has become the host of the demon bat.
- Batman still has residual energy dormant inside him from the time where he merged with the Demon Bat to survive the confrontation with Bane. After becoming aware of the Kamen no Shikai, he will go about crafting an Onimen of his own that will allow him to tap into the demon bat abilities inside him.
- Another person from the future hitched a ride through the time portal that Hourman opened up to the past... The Jokerz gang member that refers to herself as Joker's Daughter. Her design will be based on the Ame Comi version.
- The Batclan Beyond will consist of: Batman Beyond, Robin (amecomi/Carrie Kelly), Batigrl (amecomi/Cassie Cain/Hush), and Catwoman (ame comi); and new characters: Red Robin III, Night Robin, Batboy, and Red Hoodie (Alternate identity designs for Damien Wayne prior to him becoming Robin by artist Peter Nguyen). They will have an elder Komori Watanabe in a support role similar to the animated series.
Nightwing; Anime Inspiration: Sasuke Uchiha of Naruto
Alias: Daisuke Kagehane (Dick Greyson)
Ninja Rank: Genin (Chuunin/Jounin Level)
Daisuke Kagehane, the last survivor of the ShadowWing Clan Massacre became a ward of the League of Shadows after the loss of his family. As a Noble, he had to voluntarily conscript himself into service in order for the League to have full control of his actions. This could only be given once he reached the age of consent. When he discovered the exploits of the Batman, he investigated his actions and background and found out that his older brother had briefly trained under him. Seeing that he was bringing something different to the Order that represented what his clan stood for, he sought him out to complete his training. Initially, he was told no, as Batman felt like he had already failed at being a sensei. When Daisuke returned, this time flanked by Tomi and Kaitsuki, he convinced Batman that the best way to honor his fallen brother's memory would be to continue and complete the training he promised his brother with him. At the same time, The assassin known as Deathstroke; The Terminator had been watching the young Kagehane survivor over the last few years. The Kagehane clan were master Kenjutsu practitioners, similar to his own Clan. He sought a pupil to pass his own techniques down to as his own children had been taken away from him. He propositioned Onishusoku for the right to take him as an apprentice, but was told that the boy already took to following the Batman. As he still had the right to have a say in who the boy would train with, he allowed the two potential sensei to combat for the right to claim the pupil. After the conclusion of which, he returned as a full-fledged member of the Batclan. Throughout his training, he struggled with his anger with his past and was in constant conflict with fellow teammate Robin. In an attempt to get the two to get closer, Batman banished them both until they could learn what it truly meant to work together. During this time, the two helped form the Teen Titans and helped save the world from an alien invasion and a demon apocalypse. Learning not only how to be part of a team, but to lead one as well, the two headed back home only to find their Master and teammate missing. They split up to find them, and Daisuke discovered that the shinobi he had thought was guilty of slaying his family was not The Joker as he'd been led to believe, but his own brother, Jotaro Kagaehane, The Batman's first apprentice, Redwing. Now going by the name The Red Hood, Jotaro told his brother that Nightwing was going to take his place in the organization that he had been involved in since the Kagaehane Clan massacre; The Red Hand. Nightwing managed to free Batman, and the two held their ground against Red Hood until Robin Showed up with the recently rescued Batgirl. When the Red Hand arrived, the Batclan were in no shape to take them on and survive. Robin volunteered to take Nightwing's place in the organization, releasing Jotaro from his contract. Before he left, Robin traded his staff for Nightwing's sleeve staves, with the promise to keep them safe until he returned. After Robin's departure, Nightwing struggled with his rage again and became disillusioned by the entire order of the shinobi. It was Batman's Justice League partner, Superman that suggested that Nightwing might find something in the Way of the Samurai to help him find his center, as his master had found in the Way of the Ninja. That night, he spoke with Takaharu, who agreed to take him to train at the Bloodhaven Monastery, with the samurai monks that Akifimi himself had trained with during the Samurai/Shinobi War. Nightwing returned to Goth-Ahm Prefecture just as Batman lost control to the Demon Bat possessing him.
- Nightwing has become just as proficient with the bo staff as he was with the Escrima. He goes back and forth between the weapons
- This version of Daisuke's outfit is a combination of Sasuke's first Shippuden outfit and Dick Greyson's first Nightwing outfit.
- Daisuke's decision to train at Bloodhaven is reminiscent of Naruto's time training exclusively with Jiraiya during the time between parts one and two. This is mirrored by Robin agreeing to go with the criminal Red Hand (which is based on The Akatsuki) for the greater good, similar to Sasuke's departure to train under Orochimaru.
- Nightwing returns to Goth-Ahm with much improved impulse control and inner serenity.
- Although he was trained how to use a sword at Bloodhaven, he chooses not to use edged blades, but is still capable of executing kenjutsu techniques the monks taught him as well as the Kagehane techniques.
Batgirl; Anime Inspiration: Karin Uzumaki and Sakura Haruno of Naruto
Alias: Kaitsuiki Gaikoku (Barbara Gordon)
Ninja Rank: Chuunin
Born the daughter of the Captain of the Emperor's Royal Guard, Taichou Jin Gaikoku; Kaitsuki wanted nothing more than to be just like her father. However, he did not approve of her desire to follow in his footsteps, as women were not allowed to become samurai . Instead, he encouraged her to find a different path to pursue, however, it was forbidden to even utter Kaitsuki's secret fascination...the world of the Shinobi. Her father attempted to keep her sheltered from the confrontations he and his samurai guardsmen had with rogue shinobi and yakuza thugs, and instead pushed her to keep up with her studies, dancing, and gymnastics. In an attempt to get an assassin close to the emperor, a contingent of ninja kidnapped Kaitsuki in an attempt to control Jin. He knew he couldn't reveal the kidnapping to a ranking official or anyone on the guard, as the solution would be to have Jin commit seppuku (honorable ritual suicide)to eliminate the threat to the emperor and abandon his daughter to the kidnappers. With no one to turn to, Jin was approached by the Batman who had taken out the ninja that were tasked to observe the captain complete his mission, and guaranteed that he'd find his daughter in time if he stalled as long as possible while making it seem like he was complying. Kaitsuki, in her own resourcefulness was able to briefly escape her captors and came into contact with members of the guard under her father's command, who promptly turned her over to those she was fleeing...! Batman was able to rescue her in time, and get her within eyesight of Gaikoku, so that he could take the shinobi that were there to complete the mission in the event of his failure, into custody. Realizing that there was corruption within his own guard, he came to accept Batman as an ally as he sought a way to clean up the rank and file. Kaitsuki's adventure showed her that although the guard was created to protect the emperor and his interests, there needed to be an establishment that was concerned with justice and protection of the innocent common citizens of Goth-Ahm. Knowing what she now knew about the Royal Guard, she sought to convince Batman that he was the right man to make this dream happen.
- Jin Gaikoku = Jim Gordon; wanted to give him a position that more resembled commissioner
-After another attempt on the emperors life from within his own court, the emperor, Jin, and Batgirl hide amongst the populace of the commoners while Batman, Robin and Nightwing seek out the culprits behind it. It is here when the emperor sees the need to create an organization whose purpose is to protect and serve the citizens of Goth-Ahm. The corruption cleansed Royal Guard become more of a secret service contingent. The Emperor establishes the Machikata and names Jin, Machi Bugyō of Goth-Ahm Prefecture.
- The machi bugyō was a position in feudal Japan, who oversaw the police and fire departments. The police, or machikata, included the high-ranking yoriki and the dōshin below them; both were samurai. They also have full-time patrolmen; okappiki and shitappiki, who were commoners. The police lived in barracks. They manned ban'ya, the watch-houses, throughout the prefecture. The jitte was the symbol of the police, from yoriki to shitappiki.
- Historically, okappiki and shitappiki were commoners. these people were irregulars, called to service within the machikata only when necessary.
-Shutaru Koyama, The Daimyo of Goth-Ahm = Mayor Henry Hill
- Dōshin, Habiki Burakumin = Sgt. Harvey Bullock, Okappiki, Raina Morioka = Officer Rene Montoya
- Reina was a commoner who assisted Jin and Habiki during The Knightfall, where the demon bat possessed Komori, rampaged through Goth-Ahm prefecture. She was rewarded by allowing her to enlist in the Machikata as a patrolwoman.
-Batgirl's costume is based on Karin's look from the Wii game Naruto: Ryujinki, combined with the Yvonne Craig colorscheme from her previous outfit. Sakura's Shippuden outfit was too basic to warrant use as a foundation for a new look.
- Yousai no Kuromon = Blackgate Stronghold; is the prison near Goth-Ahm where the deadliest Shinobi criminals are incarcerated for their crimes. Noted for its practices in solitary confinement.
- Yousai no Ishimon = Stonegate Stronghold; is the prison in Hitoshirenu where the deadliest Samurai criminals are incarcerated for their crimes. Noted for its practices in extremely hard physical labor.
Takaharu Akifimi (Alfred Pennyworth); Anime Inspiration:
Samurai Rank: Hatamoto
Akifimi was born during the Shinobi/Samurai War, into the modest Takaharu family, but like all of his brothers before him, he knew he was destined to follow them in becoming a samurai to help support and honor his family. He was raised to honor and respect the code of bushido and trained to believe that service to the emperor was the epitome of following the code. Instead, he was trained at the reclusive Bloodhaven Monestary, when his entire family became casualties of the war. Bloodhaven was a location set up to redirect wayward samurai that had become too consumed with bloodlust and the other atrocities of war, and teach them to channel their dark urges into honing their swordcraft. The result, however would be that the monks separated themselves from conflicts. When Akifimi was the age of sixteen, the emperor was assassinated; with the blame going to the Shinobi, Hound Clan. The emperor's son was placed under the protection of the Warrior Witch order known as the Majo Onna-bugeisha, while the regent (or Sesshō )plotted revenge. A plot to erradicate the accused Hound Clan of shinobi was executed with dire casualties. Although the clan was nearly wiped out of existance, the samurai army was severly depleted in the process. With the new young emperor's blessing, the Sesshō ordered the commission of all trained samurai into active military service. With the threat of the Samurai/Shinobi truce ending, Akifimi left the monestary to join the Samurai Army. Takaharu took the skills he learned and joined the military, against his senior monk's protests. After he joined the Emperor's samurai army he quickly rose up the ranks. A skilled swordsman, his rise was marveled at, as he was not from a famous samurai clan nor did he train at the academy set up by the emperor. By the age of 20, the young samurai had never come face to face with the Yottsukonin shinobi master, Yoru- Sensei, but like any samurai, Akifimi had heard of Yoru's legendary skills. Akifimi was with a contingent that was tasked to occupy a small shinobi village that was on the fringe of a conflict. They took the location, unaware that it housed the now retired ninja master. One of the older soldiers, who happened to be Akifimi's commander, recognized the ninja master from the war. He ordred his immediate surrender, as he had killed the samurai's unit and commanding officer. Yoru reminded the soldier that not only had the war ended, but he remembered sparring the young samurai's life that day as the fear of dying led him to soil himself. With the truth out, the soldier became enraged, and Yoru could tell that he was not concerned with anything other than vengeance. Not wanting to jeopardize anyone else he was preparing to turn himself over, when his young companion charged at the samurai, who cut him down. The villagers lashed out and the samurai began to dispatch them as well, despite Akifimi's protests. Yoru lost his composure. Unarmed, he took out quite a few of the samurai warriors before Akifimi engaged him, in defense of one of his fellows. Although he was twenty years his junior, Akifimi was not his equal as a warrior, but he was cunning enough to survive the confrontation with him, until the samurai responsible for the atrocity that incited Yoru's wrath, took a woman hostage. He surrendered, and the samurai put him in chains. The inciter planned to bring in Yoru-sensei and say that he was responsible for the deaths of the multiple samurai soldiers, unprovoked. Takaharu knew that this was wrong, and at night he freed Yoru and the woman he surrendered for, and helped them escape the perimeter they had established. The next morning, when their superiors arrived, they took them to where Yoru sensei was being held, only to find him not there. When the Shogun demanded to know where the prisoner was, Takaharu acted as if he had no idea what he was talking about, as their fellow soldiers were killed by the bandits theat they were sent to persue. Takaharu took them to a barn where the bandits dead bodies were, making it look like his commander was lying. The only other body was that of the young boy, who Akifimi revealed, was unjustly killed by his commander. When the superior asked the rest of the unit if this was true, they all silently nodded. Feeling set up, he lashed out at Takaharu, and the two had a qucik exchange of swordplay before the commander was dropped by Takaharu's steel. The shogun approached Takaharu and said, he wasn't sure what had truly happened there, but in his gut he felt that Akifimi had done something dishonorable. For placing the life of a "samurai slaying ninja" above those of his compatriots, he ordered the surrounding soldiers to now refer to him as Wadokaichin. Although he couldn't prove it, he could enact a small measure of retribution. For killing a superior officer (even in self defense)Takaharu was allowed to live, but stripped of his military rank, and was forbiden to use a katana again. After being discharged from the military, Takaharu relocated to Goth-Ahm prefecture and set up a dojo at the base of the mountain that he used to train nobles in the art of the sword. his endeavor was prosperous, until soldiers that recognized him, started spreading gossip about his discharge, drying up his client base. With no clients or income, his dojo fell into disrepair. He began to live off the land, until one day he saw the body of a young boy wash up on the shore as he went fishing...
- Hatamoto: higher ranked samurai than a kenin.
- Wadokaichin- feudal Japanese coin; Wado = Japanese copper, kaichin= currency; Kaichi= worth; Pennyworth. By equating him with a monetary amount that is the equivalent of a penny, the military samurai use this term to refer to Takaharu, as a way of calling him worthless.
- In Japan, Sesshō (摂政?) was a title given to a regent who was named to assist either a child emperor before his coming of age, or an empress. The Kampaku (関白?) was theoretically a sort of chief advisor for the emperor, but was the title of both first secretary and regent who assists an adult emperor.
- I designed Akifimi to look like an armorless samurai, I added the black tunic to resemble the tuxedo jacket that is associated with Alfred.
- Older samurai were allowed to retire from active service and charge a hefty fee for their instructional services. They were considered tutors, and their clients were not considered full fledged samurai; so they would remain safe from being drafted, but get to boast at having the "skills" of a samurai...paltry as they may be.
- To get away from the traditional manservant/attendee aspect of alfred's character, but still have him in his employ, i decided to make it that he was retained as a personal trainer in Kenjutsu; this was a testament to Komori's affluence, as only the wealthy could afford to be personally trained by a true samurai. At the same time, it would lend credence to the perception that Komori was not really that "savvy" by hiring a disgraced samurai.
- I wanted him to be a samurai, but decided using a training sword would allow him to employ his skills, while not invoke Komori's trauma at seeing his parents killed by swords.
- The original artist, effektdmentality came up with the name Takaharu for alfred. I didnt think it needed changing at the time so kept it. Later on, i dedcided to attempt to give him a name closer to the original's and made Takaharu his surname.
- Used the traditional samurai hairstyle to emulate Alfred's MPB (male pattern baldness).
- I also wanted him to have skills not unlike the mainstream version's special forces training.
- When Akifimi helped Yoru escape, they were confronted by the bandits, and the to fought together to take them out. On his way back, takaharu brought the bodies with him to carry out his plan.
- Yoru-Sensei agrees to train Komori to return the favor of helping him escape.
- When Takaharu returns to the dojo of Yoru-Sensei years later to call in his favor, the scene plays out like the one in Kill Bill when Bill drops of Beatrix to train with Pai Mei.
- the woman that escaped with Yoru was the grandmother of who will be Yoru-sensei's final pupil; Kairi Tanaga.